I love muffins in the morning! Not the ones that are loaded with oil that you buy at the store, but homemade ones. I have a great recipe for bran muffins, that uses wheat bran and molasses. Yummy and healthy! I bake a large batch, and then I freeze them. I use muffin papers so that they hold up well in the freezer. This way I can take a couple out in the morning and enjoy them slightly heated up, before I leave for work.
Here is my recipe:
1/4 c. shortening (I used a combination of applesauce and sour cream instead)
1/4 c. brown sugar
2/3 c. milk (I use non-fat)
1/4 c. molasses
1 large egg (you can use egg substitute)
1 c. bran flakes
1 c. unbleached flour (you can substitute whole wheat)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1. Heat over to 400 degrees.
2. Mix all wet ingredients together well.
3. In another bowl. mix all dry ingredients together.
4. Add the wet mixture to the dry. Mix just until blended, do not over mix.
5. Use muffin/cupcake papers, or grease muffin tin. Add batter up to about 2/3 full.
6. Bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Makes about 1 dozen. I double this recipe with no trouble. Very good!!