This is a recipe for bars, not really a cake, and they are made with applesauce not chopped apples. Dating back to the 1950’s, these are one of our favorites, easy to make, and they are always a big hit at potlucks. I hope that you enjoy it!
3 c. all-purpose flout
3/4 c. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
3 egg yolks (use large eggs)
1 c. butter or margarine at room temperature
rind of a lemon
1 3/4 c. applesauce
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, salt, egg yolks, butter and lemon rind until the mixture is crumbly. The crumbs will be fine.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of a 13″ x 9″ baking pan (ungreased). Make sure that the mixture is even across the bottom of the pan.
- In another bowl mix together the applesauce, cinnamon and cloves.
- Pour the applesauce mixture over the flour mixture that you pressed in the pan.
- Spread the balance of the dry flour mixture over the applesauce, making sure that you cover the entire area.
Place in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 40 – 45 minutes or until the bars are a light brown color.
Remove from the oven and let the bars cool for approximately 10 minutes before cutting.
These bars are great from the oven, and make a great dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!