Part of what has been keeping me from posting so much is the number of projects that I keep starting. I have been wanting to give some mismatched furniture in my house a face lift. Painting mismatched pieces can make them seem like they belong together a little better. I recently finished an armoire that I started a few weeks ago!
This was somewhat an experiment for me. I learned a lot from it, such as what not to do, or do differently, on the next piece of furniture.
This is my before picture. I purchased this about 20 years ago! I did a ‘white wash’ finish on it, by taking some white paint and watering it down. It worked great at the time, but now it was looking pretty dingy.
I did some painting on the inside, it was just unfinished before, and I covered the shelves with some contact paper that is an off-white and tan print.
I did a little sanding on the edges of the doors, drawers and body of the armoire and added glass knobs and glass drawer pulls on the drawers that I picked up at our local Home Depot. I wanted a little bit of the ‘shabby’ cottage look.
I applied three coats of paint, slightly off white in color. I sanded in between each of the coats. I then added a couple of coats of polyurethane, and I also sanded in between those. One thing that I discovered during this project, and I wish that I had found it sooner, was a wipe on polyurethane. I used it on the drawers. I found it so much easier to use than the brush on type. I also spray painted the hinges with a matching paint.
So here we are…….
Thanks for stopping by!